New Uni of Glos Sports Film

sport

Last year we produced a film for the University of Gloucestershire, to showcase the variety of sports on offer for students.

This was the result:

 

The feedback was great, and we were really happy with the final result. So later in the year, they commissioned us to produce another film similar, looking at some more of their top-tier elite teams.

The first step was to see how we could do the video differently, while still keeping a similar style and feel to the previous film. Both ourselves and the client like the fast paced nature of the previous video, and how it was silent, just the music. So we knew we had to keep those elements. Alongside that, we had a new set of sports we had to use.

So our plan was to keep the style, but up the pace, and build in a couple of small narrative elements throughout that would cut together. The main one was the idea of scoring at the end, and with futsal and women’s rugby, we knew we could cross cut a penalty/field goal.

We had a storyboard of shots we needed from each sport, and we did an edit of the storyboard to know how it would work and fit together. Then we went out to practises for the various sports and filmed.

There were two cameras running – we use Sony a7s cameras shooting in 4k – one capturing everything we needed from the storyboarded shots, and one roaming getting additional footage, something we usually call the “wild cam”. I don’t know if we invented that or not. Don’t Google it – let’s just say we invented it.

The wild cam just gets whatever footage might be interesting, from different angles, running around to give us more options when we come to the edit. It’s often the case that we probably don’t use much of it, but you always get a handful of shots that are excellent and interesting and you would never have planned to shoot them like that.

Once we’d collected all the footage and were ready to start the edit, we log all the footage. This is us going through and labelling if it’s a great take, what content is in it, what angle, that sort of thing, so we know when we come to put the rough edit together which are the best versions of each take, or if it was a re-do shot or anything like that.

Because the music was so integral to this project, that was the first thing we sought out before the edit. We wanted something pacey and upbeat, but without lyrics. We get our music from various sources so we have the correct license to use them royalty-free across any platform required, and we found the track we eventually used. It has a very quick-paced intro before dropping into the main beat. It sounded perfect – but it didn’t have the big impactful ending we wanted – a big crash. So we found a separate audio track that did, and mixed the two of them together to create that ending.

Then came the edit. Because we’d had a storyboard together, the edit was relatively simple in terms of the first pass, where we re-build the storyboard but with the new footage. However, because the music was new, the rhythms had changed, and so we needed to re-assess and change some of the edit, and we also had new footage from the wild cam that we really liked, and hadn’t planned as part of the project. With all that in mind, we were able to turn around the project pretty quickly.

Once we’ve done the edit, next comes the grade. This is where we apply some colour treatment to the footage to get it all looking the way we want it too. In this case, we desaturated it and added some blue and light flares over the top to add some dynamism to the piece.

With everything in place, we sent it off to the client – and it was a case of they loved it! No changes, with a quick sign off! Needless to say, we were chuffed!

And here it is:

Posted on July 4, 2016 in Blog

Share the Story

About the Author

Back to Top

Powered by themekiller.com